In my Couple counseling NJ practice, I use this approach to help couples better understand their own emotional reactions and those of their significant other. I help the couple create feelings of comfort, safety, and security so that they can be emotionally vulnerable and supportive of one another.
The underlying premise of Emotionally Focused Couple counseling is that people are healthier and happier when their need for emotional connection is fulfilled. This is accomplished when partners feel safe and secure in their romantic relationships. Feeling distressed in one’s relationship can arouse deep-seated fears of rejection and abandonment. An individual’s reactivity and defensiveness when these primal fears are triggered can be quite detrimental to the relationship. When both partners begin to perceive their counterparts as unable to fulfill their emotional needs, they can become embroiled in destructive communication and behavior patterns. These patterns are further fueled by persistent, yet futile, attempts to get one’s partner to validate one’s thoughts and feelings.
It can be very difficult for you and your partner to understand what causes and maintains your conflicts. Emotionally Focused Couple Counseling considers the basis of conflict and disconnection to be the insecurity in the attachment. This feeling of insecurity leads people to ask questions such as, “Do you really love me?” “Am I priority in your life?”, “Will you eventually leave me for someone better?”, “Can I trust you?”, etc. Couple Counseling rectifies these attachment-related insecurities by teaching both partners how to communicate in more caring, sensitive and emotionally connected ways. This leads to a strong and secure attachment.
Do You Feel Lonely and Frustrated in Your Relationship?
In my couple counseling NJ practice, I help couples like you cultivate a relationship that is trusting, warm, and fun. If you and your partner are ready to identify and change your destructive attitudes and communication patterns, then I can help you obtain a happy and loving marriage.
I can help you improve your relationship if:
- You argue all the time; You can’t seem to resolve your differences in a respectful manner. Ineffective and hurtful communication continues to eat away at your relationship on a daily basis.
- You’re emotionally drained; You feel victimized and trapped. You used to believe that things would get better and your partner would change. However, things are only getting worse.
- Your intimacy and connection have faded; Affection and sex hardly ever take place. You feel insecure about how you are perceived by your partner and have lost the sense of being understood and cared for.
- You feel frustrated, lonely, and frightened; It scares you to think you might have to live this way forever.
- You feel hopeless and depressed; You want to save your relationship but you don’t know-how.
- My couple counseling NJ practice can help you repair your wounded relationship. It doesn’t matter how much conflict or distance currently exist in your relationship. You too can learn skills in effective communication and emotional intimacy. Countless couples have been helped by my couple counseling NJ practice. You can finally experience a loving and meaningful relationship that you yearn for and truly deserve.
Effective Communication is the Heart and Soul of a Healthy Relationship
Most of us never learned to know how to engage others in healthy relationships characterized by supportive and collaborative communication. We were never taught how to express our feelings, needs, and wants assertively and non-defensively. We also never learned how to negotiate and compromise effectively in order to resolve conflicts.
Because you never developed the needed skills to co-create a healthy relationship, your lines of communication have become strained and distorted. As a result of your failed attempts at bridging the gap, a sense of disconnection and alienation has set in.
At some point, you’ve reached the stage where you just can’t be open with your partner about your true thoughts and feelings. You are too defensive and afraid of getting hurt. You wind up resigned to your fate, feeling dejected, lonely, and frustrated. It doesn’t have to be this way!
I can help the two of you learn the necessary communication skills to repair and deepen your connection. Let me show you the way in my marriage counseling NJ practice.
We will Help You with Your Problems
Our clinic’s largest private mental health partnership, with a carefully selected statewide team of Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and Psychotherapists. We only work with highly experienced and capable partners who share our values. We pride ourselves in providing a nurturing, clean, and confidential atmosphere for our patients.
Just Call Us Now and Make an Appointment (201)-408-44870